The Highland Tinamou (Bonaparte Tinamou), Nothocercus bonapartei is a type of ground bird found in montane moist forest up to 1,300 to 2,500 m altitude. This species has an estimated global extent of occurrence of 140,000 kmē. It has five subspecies:
- N. B. frantzii occurs in Costa Rica and Panama
- N. B. bonapartei occurs in western Venezuela and eastern Colombia
- N. B. discrepans occurs in central Colombia
- N. B. intercedens occurs in western Colombia
- N. B. plumbeiceps occurs in eastern Ecuador and northern Peru
The Highland Tinamou is a shy Tinamou and usually solitary or in small groups of up to five. It is approximately 38 cm long.